Get a Quote!

Our History

The History of Besel’s

Besel’s began with one man and a vision in the early years of the 20th century. Driven by a strong desire to help his neighbors and provide high-quality services to his customers, Michael Besel started the company in 1909. His son, Ed Besel, then took over after Michael passed on.

In the early 1950s, V.B. “Mac” Greenamyre, son-in-law of Ed Besel, left the Army Air Corps and returned to Leavenworth with his wife Marjory (Besel) Greenamyre and their three sons to help run the family business. Mac Greenamyre worked with Ed Besel until his passing, and then took over as owner and operator of Besel’s Roofing and Heating.

In the early 1960s, Mac relocated the business from its original address at 612 Cherokee St to the Historic Union Depot Train Station at 123 South Eslpanade. Then in 1988, Besel’s donated the Union Depot to the City of Leavenworth and moved to its current location at 300 Sante Fe St. The City of Leavenworth went on to turn the Union Depot into a Community Center.

Mac grew Besel’s Home Improvement, adding new services, including: home remodeling, room additions, Electrical, Plumbing and the then-new Air Conditioning, in addition to roofing and heating (HVAC). During this same time, Mac also began another property development and management company called Greenamyre Rentals.

In 1984, David Greenamrye began working with his father, and is now the Owner Operator of Besel’s. In 2011, David’s nephew Jeremy Greenamyre, who also co-owns and operates Greenamyre Rentals, Inc. in Leavenworth, began working with David to unite the two the companies once more.

Share your memories of Besel’s with us on Facebook.